From 2004 the Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg further has been developing the remarkable successful Computational Engineering study program. Now a three years CE PHD module has been designed for postgraduate education. This program is open for excellent graduates of the CE Master Program in Erlangen or external applicants with a comparable education. Additionally applicants with outstanding degrees in mathematics, computer sciences or in on of the Technical Application Fields offered in Erlangen are welcome if they have special interest in interdisciplinarity. Since external applicants will only partly meet the demands of the PHD program, an additional Preparation Year will be included for them to adjust their knowledge to the Erlangen CE Master level. If the education is not equivalent to the Erlangen CE Master degree access to the PHD program is possible via the CE Master Program.
Although the general courses for the PHD program will be offered in English, an integral part of this study program will be the free selection of specialised courses, some of them being presented only in German. Additionally it will be among the duties of PHD students to participate in university teaching. Therefore a compulsory German language course will be included for applicants not speaking German well.
Every PHD student will get an individual supervisor responsible for the scientific aspects of the study. As capacities for PHD supervision are limited applicants with outstanding qualification will be selected exclusively. For the time being further detailed information is not yet available. Therefore, if you would like to send a pre-application please use the Personal Information Sheet as noted below.
Application to the CE PhD-Program
All applicants should meet the following criteria:
- Completion of an excellent Bachelors and Masters degree or a corresponding qualification in Computer Science, in a related scientific or technical field, or in Mathematics.
- Proficiency and experience in both using and programming computers. Besides familiarity with the basic concepts of computers and Computer Science, we expect that you have solid programming experience with the programming languages C and C++.
- A well rounded education in Engineering Mathematics.
- Interest in learning how to use high-performance computers to solve problems in engineering.
- A solid command of the English language – TOEFL score of at least 560 or equivalent qualification.
- A good score on the GRE (The General Test) ( see GRE).
- Interest in spending two years for studies in Germany. Intensive study of the German language is included in the program.
The procedure for getting admission to our PhD-Program is as follows:
- Contact us – present yourself by sending us introductory personal data. Please use the Personal Information Sheet (rich text / plain text) which we provide for this purpose. When filling this document out, please bear in mind the differences among the various education systems and account for them when providing the necessary information. Please send the information (your personal data) to the address provided on the Personal Information Sheet.Please note that applications sent without this initial contact, or that are sent through an agency may be rejected without further consideration.)
- If your personal data suggests that you will be a good candidate for our program, we will invite you to send us your full application. At such time, we will provide you with a list of documents required for the full process.
- The university admission office will formally check whether you may be admitted for studies.
- The final selection of the candidates is made by the Committee for the Computational Engineering Program on a competitive basis. Please note that there are a limited number of places available for this program.
- You will be informed immediately after the selection procedure whether you have been granted admission to the university and to our program.
- The whole program will take six (6) semesters.
Contact PhD Program
|Ms. Elisabeth Mayer, MBA, LL.M.|
|Address||International Office, Dekanat der Technischen Fakultät
Erwin-Rommel-Strasse 60, R. O.233
D-91058 Erlangen, Germany